*For those who are switching from commercial to organic shampoos, please note that hair detox can take up to 2 to 3 weeks, so be patient! Some people will experience greasy hair as they detox - we promise it’s worth the wait for naturally light, shiny, bouncy hair.
If you’re curious what the detox process feels like, here’s my experience!
Hair plays a large part of how we look and feel about ourselves, so why not take care of it? Being healthy, using clean products and detoxing applies to hair too – especially in humid environments that require lots of hair care!
Why organic hair products help with detoxing?
Many shampoos and conditioners contain chemical ingredients and harsh cleaners found in car pipes that worsen our hair quality, scalp condition and also may disrupt hormones or lead to cancer. Organic shampoos and conditioners do the following:
1. Cleans without stripping out moisture. It cleans dirt and excess oil while leaving necessary oils. In turn, you will not require as much conditioner.
2. Cleans without chemical hormone disruptors and carcinogens.Not worrying about shampoo causing hair, eye, skin, and health problems should be a given!
3. Keeps natural pH balance of hair and scalp. Commercial shampoos can upset the natural pH balance of our scalp, which can lead to dry or oily scalp, and cause dandruff or itchiness in turn.
4. Keeps you healthy and safe. Unless you are specifically allergic to an ingredient, organic ingredients won’t cause allergies or irritations. Mostly importantly, they will not potentially cause any health problems.
5. Improve hair quality and scalp conditions. Depending on what ingredients they contain, organic shampoos can treat dry, oily or itchy scalps. They can also make hair lighter and bouncier, smoother, shinier, or more moisturized.
We sourced the best organic shampoo from around the world:https://ltilhk.com/collections/shampoo
It’s important to note that organic shampoos don't lather or foam up much. The rich foam is the result of added chemicals, and does not make shampoo more effective in cleaning hair.
In addition, many shampoos and conditioners contain detergents, ingredients used in fabric softeners, and many harmful chemicals that should not be in our environment, and definitely not in our hair. For those interested, below is a list of ingredients commonly used in big brands that we want to avoid and why:
1. Proylene Glycol. a derivative of mineral oil that is also found in antifreeze and brake fluid! It’s a cheap synthetic to retain moisture that we would not put in our bathroom, much less on our body every day.
2. Acidamide or choloroacetamide. Liquid based solutions require help in warding off germs, mold and bacteria from growing in their watery environments. Acidamide fights microbes, but can also be an allergen. The European Economic Community requires label warning on products containing this.
3. Ingredients ending with DEA, MEA, MIPA, PEG. These are compounds that may create cancer triggering carcinogens and also cause skin irritations. They thicken, gel, and emulsify shampoos. They also thicken and stabilize foam, and transform transparent solutions to opaque, milky colours.
4. Cocoamide DEA. The most common foam stabilizer and thickener. This carcinogenic compound used in shampoo and many personal care products. It is a synthesis of coconut oils and ethanolamine, leading some products to say it’s ‘natural’ and contains coconut oil. It requires a warning label under California law.
*This is why organic shampoos do not foam or lather as much as commercially available shampoos.
5. Sulfates, particularly Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS) and Sodium Laurethl Sulfate (SLES). These harsh chemicals damages children’s eye proteins. In adults they can damage hair, impair growth and repair, and can cause irritation and inflammation. SLS has a petroleum base and can also be found in cleaning detergents. Shampoos and soaps that have a rich foam contain them, and should be avoided.
6. Parabens. The most common germ and mold preventatives found in the majority of hair care, moisturizing creams, lotions and makeup. They can cause eczema, rosacea and dermatitis, especially for people with sensitive skin.
There is no proof that parabens disrupt estrogen balance, cause breast cancer, and causes significant health risks in the small amounts used in products. However, the amount of parabens in the myriad products we use add up, so avoid them to play it safe.
7. Phthalates. Another controversial chemical, phthalates have been linked to hormonal disruption and toxic effects in pregnant women and children. Congress put limitations on permissible levels of some phthalates, and the EWG recommends avoiding them. We agree, although it is difficult as phthalates are softeners used in almost everything, from personal care products to household cleaners, plastic tubes and plastic packaging.
8. Silicone, particularly Amodimenthicone. Silicone makes your hair shiny but keeps out beneficial ingredients. Instead, it creates a layer of sheen over your hair strands and locks out conditioners that can nurture your hair. Amodimenthicone is a silicone emulsifying agent that makes shampoo and conditioners consistency smooth. It can also be an allergen.
Until better health and safety standards are in place for our products, read the labels to see what ingredients are in your hair care, skincare and makeup products. Realistically, toxin risks depend on the levels of exposure and it’s impossible to completely avoid them, but it doesn’t hurt to do what we can!
Look around your bathroom, what chemicals do you see?
1. 潔淨而不會抽乾水份： 溫和清走污垢及多餘油份，保留所需油份，變相替您省下些護髮素。
3. 平衡頭髮頭皮的酸鹼度（pH值）： 普通洗頭水有可能破壞頭皮的天然酸鹼度，令頭皮變得乾燥或油淋淋，亦會引致頭屑或痕癢。
4. 保障健康安全： 除非您天生對某種成份敏感，普遍來說有機成份都不會引致敏感反應。更重要是有機物質不會引致健康毛病。
5. 改善髮質及頭皮狀況： 視乎成份，有機洗頭水能夠修護乾燥、油性或痕癢頭皮，亦可讓頭髮更顯水潤柔滑、輕盈亮澤 。
1. 聚乙二醇(Proylene Glycol)：礦物油的洐生物，經常用於防凍劑及剎車油！這種便宜的人工物質會阻隔水份，浴室也不會用，為什麼要每日用在身體上呢？
2. 酰胺或氯乙酰胺(Acidamide or choloroacetamide)：液基溶液需要外來幫助去抵禦及防止病菌、霉菌和細菌在濕潤環境滋生。酰胺對抗微生物，但同時亦為致敏原。歐洲經濟共同體已經立例要所有含有這種物質的產品於標籤上說明。
3. 所有名字以DEA、MEA、 MIPA及 PEG結尾的成份：這些複合物不但含有致癌物，亦會刺激皮膚；令洗頭水變稠、凝固並乳化；並令泡沫更豐潤，令原來透明的物質變成奶白色。
4. 椰油酸DEA(Cocoamide DEA)：這種致癌的複合物是最常見的泡沫穩定劑及增稠劑，常用於洗頭水及很多個人護理產品。內含人造椰子油及乙醇胺，有些產品甚至會訛稱是「天然」及「含有椰子油」。加州已立例必須在警告標籤上說明成份。 *因此有機洗頭水不像普遍洗頭水般起太多泡